I have noticed that I get a lot of clarity when I practise yoga and give all of my awareness to my body moving, breathing, and nothing else. The last few weeks I have preferred to practise mostly in the evenings, when time is in front of me and there is no deadline. What I realised during my practice the other evening was that it’s as simple as that:
- If I don’t practise yoga regularly my lower back starts hurting
- If I don’t care for my joints and spine I reduce my range of movement and that annoys me
- If I don’t do legs up the wall every night with all the walking I am doing my knee starts hurting
- If I don’t get my daily dose of nature I feel tense
- If I don’t move my body several times a week I feel sluggish and not connected
- If I don’t care for my breath I am putting an essential part of myself aside and that feels so wrong
- If I don’t meditate I know I am missing out on beautiful moments that are my life
- If I don’t believe in things working out I am not helping my future
- If I don’t do the cold shower in the morning I don’t get that boost that I find so energising for a new day
- If I don’t look at the person I am talking too I am not showing up as I want to
- If I don’t write regularly I feel I am letting myself down
Bottom line: If I don’t do the things that are listed above, and these are all things I truly enjoy, then I feel less free. It really is as simple as that.
This overview is personal to me and came up without overthinking it. It is not about policing myself, au contraire, I view this list as filled with self-compassion. Your overview, if you feel tempted to write one, will look different and will be right for you. Let your truth come out and don’t hesitate in going big on compassion and self care!
Wishing you well,